Okay we are throwing everyone for a loop!
When we started replacing our sub-floors five years ago we were in such a time crunch! The floors to our bedroom had a small area that had water damage; the rest of the floors were in fairly good shape, so we decided at the time to replace only the damage area. Overtime we notice the original particle board floors swelling. Dale and I knew eventually we would have to replace the particle board with new plywood. What better time then now!
Strategy comes into play now! We figure before we finish the office it would be a good idea to use the room to put our bed in while working on the floors. Yes we pretty much play musical rooms around here! Ha-ha!
Access way for long furniture.
Thank goodness Dale thought of this!
Our Temporary Room
This is what we have done so far to our master bedroom. The closet has been demolished. The particle board, baseboards and old air vent were removed. Dale fabricated a new air vent. He cut and installed ledger boards to hold the foam board insulation in place. Caulk has been applied around the foam board to seal. Now it’s ready for the new sub-floor!
After closet was removed.
Installing 2 x 6’s to support the new floor.
Close up picture of ledger boards installed to support the foam board insulation.
Over the years the tape loses it’s adhesion.
Fabricating and installing air vent.
New Air Vent
Foam board installed and sealed.
Now the floor is ready for the new sub-floor!
After Dale finish removing the old sub-floors his back was out for a couple of weeks. This is why this stage has been a slow process. We are two people doing the renovations ourselves working weekends when we can. Both of us have come to the conclusion that on some things we need help! (HELP!) We hired Dale’s son who is knowledgeable on construction to help with some of the heavy work and very grateful for his assistants.
Till next time, take care! The Phillips!
“No one is useless in the world who lightens the burdens of another.”-Charles Dickens